NOTICE OF ELECTRONIC MEETING
PLEASE NOTE: THIS MEETING WILL BE HELD ELECTRONICALLY AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THE OPEN MEETINGS ACT, MCL 15.261, ET SEQ., AS AMENDED. MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC BODY AND MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC MAY PARTICIPATE ELECTRONICALLY, AS DESCRIBED BELOW.
The reason for holding this meeting electronically is to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, protect the public health, and provide essential protections to vulnerable citizens, by limiting in-person contact. Critical mitigation measures include social distancing and limiting the number of people interacting at public gatherings. This includes public meetings.
Procedure for public participation by electronic means:
The City will be utilizing the video/audio conferencing platform Zoom for electronic meetings, which will be accessible to members of the public body and members of the public. Members of the public body will be able to hear and speak (and see if using video) to each other for the entire meeting. Except for any closed session portions of the meeting, members of the public will be able to hear (and possibly see) members of the public body during the entire meeting but will only be able to speak during a public comment period or during a public hearing, as explained below.
The meeting host will call for public comment during that portion of the meeting and may also ask if there are public comments as each agenda item is being discussed, including public hearings. Members of the public participating in the electronic meeting who wish to speak during public comment, on an agenda item, or at a public hearing should use the “Raise Hand” feature in Zoom or if you dialed into the meeting use *9 on the telephone keypad to raise your hand; but only after the meeting host has called for comments. Pressing *9 on a telephone keypad will activate the “Raise Hand” feature signaling to the meeting host that a participant wishes to speak. Participants will be called upon one at a time, as would happen during an in-person meeting. The meeting host will determine the order of participant speakers. The participant will be acknowledged by name, if available, or by the last 4 digits of the participant’s phone number. The participant will have five (5) minutes to share comments with the public body. At the conclusion of the participant’s comments or the allotted five (5) minutes, the participant will be muted or requested to mute themselves. Participants calling in should use *6 on a telephone keypad to mute and unmute themselves when called upon by the meeting host to do so.
Public comments may also be emailed to the staff liaison by selecting the appropriate board/commission at https://www.fhgov.com/Government/Boards-Commissions.aspx, prior to the time of this meeting to be read aloud at the meeting either during the agenda item to which the comment pertains or during the Public Comment portion of the meeting.
How members of the public may participate:
Members of the public are welcome to participate in the electronic meeting and may do so by clicking or copying and pasting the Zoom webinar link in their browser (downloading Zoom client is required) or by using the dial in number and webinar or meeting ID, all of which are located at the top of each meeting agenda. Further instructions for attending electronic meetings can be found on this page below this notice.
For City Council and Planning Commission meetings only, members of the public may also watch those meetings live over cable television or by tuning into the City’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/FHChannel8 or by selecting the YouTube icon from the City’s homepage at https://fhgov.com/Home.aspx. The video recording of the meeting will also be available the next day on the City’s website or from YouTube. Closed captioning is an option available through YouTube.
Members of the public may contact members of the City Council using the City of Farmington Hills government e-mail addresses for Councilmembers, which are available on the City’s website at: https://fhgov.com/Government/Mayor-and-Council.aspx.
Members of the public may contact all other board/commission members through the staff liaison by selecting the appropriate board/commission at https://www.fhgov.com/Government/Boards-Commissions.aspx and using the email listed for that staff liaison.
Procedures for accommodations for persons with disabilities:
The City will be following its normal procedures for accommodation of persons with disabilities. Those individuals needing accommodations for effective participation in this meeting should contact the City Clerk (248) 871-2410 at least two working days in advance of the meeting. An attempt will be made to make reasonable accommodations.
Public Meetings Using Zoom General Instructions
How to Attend the Meeting: Use the zoom link or dial in phone number provided on the meeting agenda. You will have to download the Zoom client in order to join a meeting if using the zoom webinar link.
- Select your audio/video preferences and keep in mind that if you are using a computer that it must have speakers and webcam if you are using video. (Meetings may be audio only and not allow video capability)
- Enter the webinar ID number if required located on the agenda. The webinar ID is unique for every meeting.
- Your microphone will be muted and you will only be allowed to speak during Public Questions and Comments, during a public hearing item or other agenda item when called by the Mayor or Chair.
Making Public Comments
- Use the Raise Hand feature in Zoom (*9 if you dialed in to the meeting) if you wish to speak and only when Public Questions and Comments or an agenda item is open for public comment by the Mayor or Chair.
- The host will acknowledge you by name or by the last 4 digits of your phone number and you will be allowed to unmute yourself.
- Once unmuted, please announce your name for the record and direct all comments to the presiding officer.
- Once you have completed your comments, you will be placed back on mute by the host and will be unable to speak until such a time that further public comments are taken and you again Raise Your Hand.
Reminders and Tips:
- Test your internet connection and audio/video in advance
- Make sure your device is fully charged or keep it plugged in
- Dial-in from a quiet place or use headphones if others are around
For questions please contact Pam Smith, City Clerk, at (248) 871-2420.