All firefighters play an active role in educating the public about recognized safety practices.
For information about any of the following programs, please contact the Fire Prevention Division at (248) 871-2820:
- Fire Station tours.
- Fire Safety Training for home and business owners.
- Elementary school safety programs.
- Preschool safety programs.
- Kitchen fire safety.
- Participation in neighborhood events.
Fire Prevention Open House
Thousands of residents participate in our Annual Open House each year. It’s a perfect opportunity to meet Farmington Hills firefighters, learn how to protect your family from the hazards of fire, get valuable tips for preventing injuries, and learn about the variety of services provided by the Fire Department.
Smoke Alarm Installations
If you are a resident of Farmington Hills, firefighters can visit your home to check your smoke alarm(s) and provide information on a replacement if necessary. Home fire and safety inspections are also offered. To request an inspection, please contact the Fire Prevention Division at (248) 871-2820.
The Farmington Hills firefighters want to remind you to take a quick minute to ensure you and your family is protected in case of a fire:
- Test your smoke alarm(s) monthly.
- Ensure your smoke alarm(s) is/are less than 10 years old (if there is no manufacturer date, your smoke alarm(s) is/are older than 10 years and require immediate replacement).
- If your 9v smoke alarms are 10 years or older the Farmington Hills Fire Department recommends replacing them with a 10 year lithium smoke alarm. The cost difference will be more then paid off over the life of the alarm and there is no maintenance other than testing the alarm monthly.
- Change your clocks; change your smoke alarm batteries.
- Practice your escape drill (EDITH - Exit Drills In The Home).
For additional information, please contact the Fire Prevention Division at (248) 871-2820.
Safety Car Seat Inspections
If you’re a resident of Farmington Hills, the Fire Department’s nationally certified child safety seat technicians will inspect your child car seats for proper installation and possible product recall. Child safety seat technicians are also available to participate in community events. For more information, or to schedule an appointment (Saturdays every other month), contact the Department at (248) 871-2800.
Yard Waste and Open Burning
Temperatures are slowly dipping each week and before you know it, fall will be here. Football is in full swing, hunters can’t wait to take to the woods, and soon leaves will be turning colors and falling from the trees. When that happens, it’s “fall clean up time” at most households.
Unlike some rural areas where open burning is permitted, it is against City ordinance to burn here in Farmington Hills. You can’t burn leaves, branches, or any yard debris…ever!
Some people think they’ve found a loophole and burn their yard waste in portable fireplaces, burn pits or ceramic chimeneas that are popular these days on decks and patios. Regardless of the device you think you can use and get away with, nothing is permitted. Open burning just isn’t allowed.
If the Fire Department does respond to your home for an open burn, you may be ticketed or you may receive a cost recovery invoice from the Fire Department for a fire truck and firefighters responding to your violation.
So, you’ll have to bag your refuse in approved yard waste bags or cans marked with a yard waste sticker, and set it out for garbage pickup on your regular collection date.