With the use of Federal dollars through the Community Development Block Grant Program, the City of Farmington Hills has a Housing Rehabilitation Program which allows eligible homeowners to upgrade and improve existing homes in the City.
Deferred loans are available to owner-occupied single-family homes, with payment due upon the sale of the property.
What Home Improvements Can Be Made?
Home repair that will bring the home up to code is generally eligible for a home improvement loan.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- New electrical, heating or plumbing installations
- Hot water tanks
- Sewer/water hook up
- Replacement windows
The Program may finance building materials should the applicant choose to do the work themselves.
How Does the Loan Program Work?
- Call the Farmington Hills Community Development Office for information and application at 248-871-2543.
- Submit application with:
- Proof of ownership (deed or mortgage)
- Income tax returns – both State and Federal returns for the last two years
- Proof of homeowner insurance
- The application, a preliminary building survey, income tax verification and other information will be reviewed by the Housing Rehabilitation Loan Board. The application will then be either approved or denied.
- The Housing Rehabilitation Specialist obtains three bids for the approved work from licensed approved contractors. Bids are reviewed for approval by the Rehabilitation Loan Board.
- Once the home improvement is completed, a lien is placed on the property for the amount of the loan.
Who is Eligible?
You may qualify for home improvement assistance if:
- You own and occupy a home in Farmington Hills (mortgage or land contract).
- Your taxes are paid up-to-date.
- Your household income does not exceed the Federal guidelines.
||Gross Family Income Cannot Exceed*
*2021 Income levels - subject to change.
Limits and Terms of Loans
- The Loan Board has established a maximum loan of $18,000.*
- A lien will be placed on the property in the amount of the loan.
- Deferred loans require one payment upon the sale of the property.
- The interest rate is 0%.
- The loan amount is determined by the Loan Board based on scope of work and competitive bids.
*The Loan Board may authorize a higher amount due to extenuating circumstances.
Other Loan Programs Available
The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) www.michigan.gov/mshda and Oakland County Community and Home Improvement https://www.oakgov.com/advantageoakland/communities/Pages/Home-Improvement-Program-and-Contractor-Opportunities-.aspx also have home improvement programs.
Applications and Further Information
For further information on how to obtain a low interest home improvement loan, call the [Equal Housing Opportunity] Farmington Hills Community Development Office at 248-871-2543.
City of Farmington Hills
Housing Rehabilitation Program
31555 West Eleven Mile Road
Farmington Hills, Michigan 48336