To encourage a supportive environment where children, youth and families are happy, healthy, educated, safe, and have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
- To stay abreast of issues relative to children, youth and families
- To make recommendations to the Farmington Hills and Farmington City Councils concerning the needs of children, youth and families in their jurisdictions.
- To promote projects, events, and programs for children, youth, and families to do together.
- To create and sustain projects, events, and programs that address the current needs of children, youth, and families in our communities.
- It is up to today’s generation to demand and secure a future where every child, across races, places, and genders, has the freedom to thrive and fulfill their potential. We assess what’s needed and take action to make this a reality in our community.
- Children and youth deserve the support they need to achieve good physical, emotional, and mental health for their growth and development. We advocate for and provide projects, events, and programs to meet this commitment.
- Families are strengthened by living in a caring atmosphere that provides opportunities for spending time together. We promote a community that offers intergenerational role models and support from many sources.
- Our community is enriched when the voices and opinions of young people are taken seriously in planning and decision-making that impact them.
Please join us for an upcoming meeting! We meet on the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM in the Farmington Hills City Hall. There are no meetings in December, July, and August. The public is encouraged to attend. Please call the City Clerk at (248) 871-2410 to verify that a meeting will be held.
What We've Done
The Commission has played a significant role in promoting and/or sponsoring the following:
- Support for the After School Youth Program at the Hawk
- Funded trauma-informed training by Growth Works for staff to identify challenging behaviors in students and learn skills to better manage them through improved procedures and interventions to increase emotion regulation skills.
- Provided 20+ board and other kinds of games to students to play with, some including STEM components to promote learning while playing.
- Annual Career Night - An expo to promote available job and educational opportunities for young people looking to start on their career path and adults considering new options.
- CYF Spotlight Show - Interviews on topics of interest and value to our community.
- Tips for Family Time - A resource highlighting the importance of time dedicated to relaxation and creative pursuits designed to reinforce the family connection.
- Kindness Rock Garden - an interactive art installation to help kindness and mental health awareness blossom. It is located behind Spicer House at Heritage Park (24915 Farmington Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48334), and you can visit it during the park’s open hours. We hold painting events periodically to paint new rocks and refresh the ones available for visitors to pick up when they visit the garden, so a kind and uplifting word is always available for anyone who needs it.
- Authored and unanimously supported A Proclamation In Recognition of World Children's Day Annually on November 20 passed by Farmington and Farmington Hills City Councils.
- Volunteer Recognition Night - A program that honors community members for their outstanding volunteer activities.